As we all know, salty and sweet is my thing. When I saw this recipe in Cooking Light, I know I would be making it soon. I’m also a HUGE fan of bread pudding. For how much I love desserts, I could easily pass up a chocolate cake or creme brulee, but put bread pudding or something with bananas in front of me, and I probably won’t stop until the plate/pie plate/tray is clean.
I took this dessert over to a friend’s house who had invited us over for dinner. The six of us licked every last crumb off our plates. I hope you will too. The only thing that would take this dessert over the top is a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
Salted Caramel Bread Pudding
courtesy of Cooking Light
Ingredients for Bread Pudding:
- 5 c. (1/2-inch) cubed French bread (about 8 ounces)
- 1 c. evaporated fat-free milk
- 3/4 c. 1% low-fat milk
- 1/3 c. granulated sugar
- 2 T. bourbon
- 1 T. vanilla extract
- 1 t. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 t. kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
Ingredients for Sauce:
- 3/4 c. packed light brown sugar
- 3 T. bourbon
- 1 T. unsalted butter
- 6 T. half-and-half, divided
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1/8 t. kosher salt
- Cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. To prepare bread pudding, arrange bread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 8 minutes or until lightly toasted.
3. Combine evaporated milk and next 7 ingredients (through eggs) in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add bread cubes. Let stand 20 minutes, occasionally pressing on bread to soak up milk.
4. To prepare sauce, combine brown sugar, 3 tablespoons bourbon, and butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Simmer 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently. Stir in 5 tablespoons half-and-half; simmer 10 minutes or until reduced to about 1 cup. Remove pan from heat. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon half-and-half, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Keep warm.
5. Spoon half of bread mixture into a 9 x 5inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Drizzle 3 tablespoons sauce over bread mixture. Spoon remaining half of bread mixture over sauce. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm sauce with bread pudding and a scoop of vanilla ice cream (optional).